Welcome to the information page for students who have studied in Somalia and will be submitting documentation of their studies there.

Information regarding upper secondary qualifications

Upper Secondary certificate (Shahaadada Dugsiga Sare) issued until 1990 can give eligibility for studies at the bachelor´s level in Sweden. The Upper Secondary certificate (Shahaadada Dugsiga Sare) issued by the Formal Private Education Network in Somalia (FPENS) from 2000 and onwards may give eligibility for studies at the bachelor´s level in Sweden after additional adult upper secondary school studies in Sweden corresponding to roughly a full-time year of study in certain subjects.

All certificates issued by FPENS are sent to FPENS for verification.

Certificates issued by other education providers such as School Association for Formal Education (SAFE), Schools Organization for Formal Education (SOFE) etc. are not accepted because we have not been able to contact these organizations officially.

FPENS may not automatically fulfill the general entry requirements

You cannot automatically be considered qualified with FPENS. If you live in a country other than Sweden, the university you apply to will make a decision about your eligibility on a case-by-case basis. If you are living in Sweden, you will be required to successfully complete studies at the adult upper seconday education level in order to meet the general entry qualifications.

Can I meet the English language requirement with my upper secondary qualifications?

Unfortunately, upper secondary studies completed in this country do not meet the English requirement for studies in Sweden. Even if you studied English at your upper secondary school, it is not enough to give you eligibility in regard to English.

In order to demonstrate your proficiency in English, you must successfully complete an internationally recognised test in English, such as TOEFL or IELTS. You can find more information about what results are required for various tests at the following link:

Internationally recognised English tests